Just sharing…

• April 21, 2015 at 9:45 pm #1005
    Participant

A loooooooong, long, long time ago, I did gymnastics and I could always do a “split” even as I got older and stopped gymnastics. I also knew it wasn’t a true square split AND I could only do it on the right leg (it’s always been my stretchy-er leg). I could also do back bends and straddles, but the level back then is slowly being surpassed. My flexibility has grown in the last two years since starting yoga and flexibility training. Now, I’m actually doing (close to) square splits and king-FREAKING-pigeon, and touching my foot (with assistance) to my head. I never even did that when I was a little kid. The body is pretty cool, I love to push it (and be pushed).

April 30, 2015 at 9:56 am #1035

I am so proud of all your hard work, your progress is incredible, and I love to push you so I’m glad you like to be pushed 😉

I too was in gymnastics when I was younger, except flexibility was never my main focus. I had my side splits, and like you said also not square. I also had a really bad bridge, and didn’t do anything even close to king pigeon because I had no idea it was a thing to do lol. I would practice but I was mainly into the strength aspect and the tricks.

I guess we always tend to gravitate towards what we’re good at, and so over the years my flexibility suffered. I also have found it only took 2 years to gain it all back and surpass my previous level. We are more focused as adults, so it’s easier to set goals and follow through.

Glad to here your story, and I look forward to hearing more about your journey!

Does anyone else have something to share? I would love to hear your thoughts, stories, and dreams.

October 1, 2015 at 11:59 pm #1427
    Participant

Hi. Taught myself the splits (right side) when i was about 12 and my mum said i wouldn’t be able to do it because my bones had set!!! Started poling 18 months ago and started working on my splits 1 year ago and now have square oversplit and got my left split flat. I’m starting this flexibility challenge to work on all aspects of my flexibility especially my back. Hate stretching my back coz its so whack but thats why i need to focus on it more ,…….gggrrrr.

October 7, 2015 at 11:45 am #1442

Congratulations on your square overspilt, that’s awesome , and good luck on your back! I can totally understand the frustration with your back, I feel the same about my upper back and shoulders! But once I started working on it, my back and I became friends ;), and now I actually like training my back, it just takes time and patience. Yesterday I tried to rush my back stretching routine and I couldn’t do too much without my shoulder locking up. So my best advice, is breath deep and take your time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.